Friday, February 5, 2010

I Choose Life (Aug '08)

“I choose life.” I read this phrase in a book I’m reading called Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos. I’ve been reading a lot of books this summer. Very enjoyable. An escape, yes, but also a chance to think of life through other people’s lives – the authors of the books and the characters they have created in these works of fiction.

I like my life. Easier to say on a relaxing Monday morning the week before the kids start school. No deadlines. No pressures (yet).

As long as I have life I want to live it and not think about it ending prematurely. Healing prayers from pastor Dave Carr at family camp included petitions against premature death and for healing from the curse of cancer. Yes, yes, yes. Spirit, fill me, fill my family, fill my church and the many people who heard Your voice at camp this summer.

I have 4 wonderful kids. The challenges of raising them are present, of course, but I look forward to seeing them reach many milestones, grow taller (and taller & taller!), mature, make new friends, learn so many things at school, in the pool, on playgrounds and fields, in friends’ homes, at church, with other adults, in books, movies, and yes, even video games.

I have a good husband. He loves me, finds me attractive, has needs I can meet, and I choose to love him. I am in love with him. I cannot control him. Surely I cannot control anything in this world, but I can choose to love him and live my life with him. We take walks together. Attend plays together. Go out to dinner (and sometimes breakfast). We enjoy talking about many topics – sports, politics, friends, kids, family, work, movies, and so many things.

I attend a great church. It’s great because of the relationships with people with huge hearts who know the healing power of grace in their lives and offer themselves to others with gratitude and love.

I enjoy my job, especially teaching. It gives me energy, stimulates me intellectually, and I enjoy meeting students and offering encouragement to them. I also like writing, even though I have little self-confidence in that area. I am encouraged when I get something accepted to a conference or journal. It keeps me going. And Jan is a great source of encouragement as I work on my book.

I love my friends and wider circle of acquaintances. I have been lonely in my life, but in recent years I have almost never felt lonely because of good, loving, caring friends. So many. Margaret, Lynee, Denise, Saskia, Jan, Delayne, Kerri, Tuvette, Alene, Cher, to name a few.

I have a wonderful home, enough money to do what God has called me to do, good health (most of the time!), great brothers and in-laws who provide a lot of support and friendship, and so much more.

I am bursting with gratefulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment